Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Solo

I went to the funeral home to do my sister's makeup today. She wasn't a woman who wore a lot of makeup, but...when you're dead, sometimes you need a little color. Yeah, I know...that was morbid, but I've been like that dealing with this.

My sisters picked out a blue and black blouse for her, so I coordinated her eye makeup with a blended out dark blue with a natural, neutral, slight brown and a natural highlight. I put a light yellowy pink on her cheeks just enough to make her look "alive", but you couldn't really tell it was there. It just looked like she would if her face still had vascular activity. I put a reddish-brown gloss on her lips, and it settled in nicely, considering...
My niece brought a half wig from the Bay from a place that they always bought my sister's hair. My niece was wanting me to fix my sister's hair like she would do it, but I blends wigs and weaves and leave no demarcation...my sister, well, she didn't have a good blend hand. So, since I was doing this, I took my marcel irons and curled her hair to cascade around her face and blend with the wig.
I think she looked beautiful and alive, like she was napping, when we left.

I feel weird about the whole thing. Picked up a blouse today so we can all be color coordinated for the service.

I feel like I don't have my bookend mate: she was the oldest, and I am the youngest (of my father's children). Bookends. Odd-ends: she had her issues regarding the family, and I had mine. She was my BigSister and I was BabySis, *[XX]* (always said with emphasis).

What does one do with one bookend? One odd-end?

No comments: